Friday, August 8, 2014

Franco Fridays: All Will Be Well

Our last two days in Paris last year were extremely relaxed.  We didn't see very many new monuments or go inside any museums.  Instead, we hung out with Parker and some others from Emmanuel International Church we'd met the week before and then just wandered the streets.  I wrote a little bit about what we did on Thursday while we were there (I was an surprisingly committed blogger that week).  I had a few pictures from Le Jardin de Plantes I didn't post.  I was intrigued the entire trip with these tulips with the fringe around the edges.  I'd never seen anything like them in the U.S., which of course doesn't mean very much.  I don't really know much about flowers.


Such Happy Flowers


I was still taking pictures of the Eiffel Tower from every new vantage point as we walked.



There's a point, though,  that I become a very tired photographer toward the end of a two-week trip, and I feel like I'm just going through the motions.  I was probably just a tired human being in general at that point.

He's a good companion for walking in Paris.

The rest of our afternoon was spent at the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe taking pictures for the time lapse video I put together when we got home.  It's a lot of waiting while the camera takes pictures, so at the Tower we bought a souvenir keychain and shared a leftover Jesus Film we still had with us with the guy selling the keychains.  I also read to KJ from my souvenir from the first English bookstore on the continent, How to Be a Good Wife.  


That little red book was originally published in England in 1936, and it just made me laugh because I don't believe anyone can turn a phrase with as much wit as the English.  There's just such wonderful gems inside like:

Don't forget that very true remark that, while face powder may catch a man, baking powder is the stuff to hold him.

Do all that you can for the children, but in caring for them still remember that you have a husband and that at times he requires a little attention.

If you would like your husband to take you out, ask him to. Don't expect him to discover, in some mysterious way, that you want to go...


We went back to Parker's apartment and had dinner, breaking open our bottle of apple cider from Normandy since we figured it would make our suitcases too heavy on the journey back...not to mention it would be a sad mess if it were to break.  And the thing I really remember from that quiet Thursday night was discussing how we might end up in Europe one day and how much I really wanted that to happen, but I just didn't see any direct doors around us at the time for us to walk through, and so I couldn't see how it could happen anytime soon.  But that night was the impetus to the direction of my prayers changing once we came home, and the Lord has answered those prayers beyond what I could have asked or imagined.

Here's the results of our first tries with a time lapse or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment