Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bathroom Before + Afters (kind of)

Over my "Birthday Weekend Re-do" I started my first attempt at painting a room, and as the Little Red Hen would say, "I did it all. by. my. self."  My husband refused to do this project for me, not because he's cruel...I'm sure I could have talked him into helping...but he really did want me to realize how long it took to do the projects I often task him with.  

Most of the rooms in our house are still "Builder's Beige," as my dear friend Molly once called them.  The only exceptions are James' room, which Molly and her sweet husband painted for me when I was pregnant with James and the kitchen and dining area, which KJ painted for me a couple of years ago.

I planned on helping KJ paint the kitchen, but KJ did 98% of that work.  I did help with a few small parts, but I was mostly afraid to mess something up once he got in a groove.  So I was excited to figure out how to do this by myself, because once I painted the smallest room in the house, there's nothing to stop me from tackling every other room in the place, besides time, money, and children underfoot, of course.

This is probably the best comparison picture I have.  There's not much natural light that reaches this room, so the lighting makes it difficult to get a picture with accurate coloring.  I started my update-the-bathroom project back in September with finally getting some pictures printed, a new shower curtain, and moving my "architectural interest" from the front porch to the bathroom.  I think the paint color ended up being a little closer to the exact shade of the shower curtain than I intended, but I'm still pleased with the results.  A fresh coat of paint in any color brightens up a room.

I used to have a little white shelf on that empty wall and on the wall above the towel rack.  I need to decide now whether to re-hang those, paint them a different color, or go with something altogether different.

I like my fresh little space.  See my shower curtain peeking out there?  Another fun pop of color.

If you're ever our guest, you can study a map of the London Underground while you shower.      

1 comment:

  1. This looks FABULOUS, Lynn! Hooray for you tackling this project, and I know you're thrilled with it!

    I enjoyed catching up on the posts below, too. Fantastic pics, amazing children, super fun books! Wish I could've been at the prayer retreat. And I watched a little of Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn & Humphrey Bogart the other night. I've always loved how the movie begins :)

    ReplyDelete