Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday's Memories: Where William Wilberforce was Born

In the early stages of our trip planning I looked up everything we might be interested in seeing in England and marked it on Google Maps.  I was glad we were able to fit the city of Hull on our route.  We stopped by the house where William Wilberforce was born.

You can see the head of Wilberforce's statue peeking over the garden wall.  This old and elegant house now contains a wealth of Wilberforce memorabilia, as well as a museum that tells the history of slavery all the way into its modern forms.

 




  I loved that.

I searched everywhere for the perfect old (but not too old) copy of The Book of Common Prayer while we were in England but couldn't find one I was happy with.  But I loved that it was noted that Wilberforce was a different kind of father than most fathers of the day.  I also enjoyed reading about the ways the women of the time period worked to put an end to slavery.  I'm sure at times they felt like they couldn't do much.

  Remember you have to read some "f"s as "s"s.

 
This walk ran between the house and the exhibit on modern-day slavery and led to the back garden of course.
 


We were also able to see where Wilberforce and William Pitt were buried beside one another in Westminster Abbey.  Their friendship makes me happy, but I keep having to remind myself that William Pitt was a different man than Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays him in Amazing Grace.  Movies can mess with your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment