Monday, November 19, 2012

Monday's Memories: Scarborough (the place with the fair)

A friend who spent a summer in England told us we simply must visit Scarborough, so we planned our route, drove across the Yorkshire Moors and made a quick stop.  I'm really glad we did.  A northern English beach is a sight to behold.  The most prominent sight here is the ruin of Scarborough Castle.




 On the walkway above the beach

Good thing they have the barrier, right?  I think we were there at high tide because the waves were coming in hard and fast, and there were a lot of surfers.
 
What is this face I'm making?  I don't know.  KJ took the camera, and we now have a lot of shots of me making various facial expressions on the beach of Scarborough.  I'll only make you look at one.  We saw several signs advertising the fair, so we were obliged to walk the beach singing Simon and Garfunkel.
 
I really wanted to walk on top of the cliffs overlooking the water, so KJ dropped me off and tried to find a place to park (always a difficulty).  The wind was blowing so hard and cold up there, but I loved it.
 


The many dots of black in the water are surfers.  I thought they were brave to be in the North Sea in October.

After our walk we got back in the car and drove along the coast for awhile, until we made our way to Hull, birthplace of William Wilberforce.  And perhaps you shall see some pictures of that on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment