Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Roll-Out Sugar Cookies

I made some melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookies on Sunday, and I wanted to share the recipe I used because it took me a while to find a good roll-out sugar cookie recipe.  Two Christmases in a row I got really excited about making and decorating Christmas cookies with Ella, followed a recipe for sugar cookies from the back of the bag of sugar, I think, and had epic fails both times.  I was disappointed in not making the memory with Ella and not understanding what went wrong.  I didn't know roll-out cookie dough was different than just dropping the cookies on the sheet.

Looking back, I think, Why didn't you search the internet for a recipe? or Why didn't you buy some dough for rolling out at the store?  I think I may have tried the store thing once, and it didn't work for me either...I'm a slow-learner.  

One success I did have was with a packaged mix that told you what different ingredients you needed to add to be able to roll out the dough, but if you're looking for all from scratch...here you go!

This dough was soft and looked and felt like Pla-Doh, especially after I added the food coloring.  Oh, and where did I get this fine recipe?  It was on the back of the package of fall cookie cutters I purchased.  Thank you, Wilton.  They were deee-licious.

P.S.  Don't even think about substituting the butter for margarine.  I am learning that there is absolutely nothing like unsalted butter for baking.   

2 comments:

  1. OOOOOH! Thank you for posting this! I can't wait to try them. I love the food coloring idea. We always love to bake sugar cookies, but haven't ever been fans of the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was nervous about the almond extract, but I thought they tasted really good. With all that real butter, you can't really go wrong.

    ReplyDelete