Friday, June 1, 2012

We're Ba-aack!

We're back, and I feel like I'm waking up from a dream this morning.  A cloudy, rainy morning makes bright skies, ocean waves, and white sand seem very far away.  We had a really wonderful time.


The kids were wonderful travelers.  Portable DVD players for the car are a sanity-saving invention.  One of KJ's college roommates reminded KJ that a long time ago, before we had kids (of course) KJ and I said our kids wouldn't watch movies in the car.  They would read.  I happily confess my ignorance.  Our kids do read books in the car, but they also watch movies.  And movies in the car for long road trips turn a restless boy into a contented boy.  You should pretty much never say anything about what you won't do when you're a parent when you're not a parent yet.  Or be prepared to change your mind, and don't be ashamed of it.  

 First Arrival

It was nice to kick off the summer with a fun trip, out of the normal routine, because coming back we're starting an entirely new routine, and now it feels normal and right for Ella to be here with me this morning instead of rushing off to school at 7:30.  Speaking of new routines, James slept outside of a crib for the first time on this trip.  I was anticipating him being completely thrown off by a lack of bars, but he was amazing.  He slept in a full bed in a room by himself and went right down for bed and naps with no problem whatsoever.  It was no big thing to him.  He didn't get up once, not even in the morning.  He called my name when he woke up.  I'm so thankful for that and may bring the bars down on the crib at home this weekend.  He'll need new bedding, I think.


Life was really pleasant on the beach.  I'm sure I'll write more about it, but I need to get about the business of settling in.  There is lots of unpacking, laundry, and going to the grocery store to do  At least, I hope the grocery store will be part of my day.  It all depends on whether my car has been repaired yet.  First up this morning is a call into the shop.  Happy weekend.

P.S.  On the road down south Ella was showing us some pictures she'd taken with her camera.  I told her they were really good and that I should post some of them on my blog.  She said, "Or on MY blog."  She wants to start a blog.  She even thought of a name for it.  I thought it might be a good way to practice writing...and maybe even learning to type...  So you may be in for a treat in the near future.  The thoughts and photography of my girl. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful it was such a wonderful getaway for the four of you. I'm also so proud of unbarred James! I do hope that you get swiftly settled in at home (with Ella around all day - yay!!) and that your car is ready for you. It was great to talk to you today, and I LOVE Ella's blog. What a treasure :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete