Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday's Memories: Inside Blenheim Palace (but don't tell anyone)

When KJ and I entered Blenheim Palace (pronounced Blen-im) the attendant was really worried about KJ's backpack knocking into things (I suppose this was her concern.) because she was very adamant that KJ must take it off.  She was so picky about this that I really thought she would have told me if photography wasn't allowed.  Every other place we had been in, attendants were really quick to say whether or not you could take pictures when they saw the camera around my neck.  So I took a few pictures at the beginning of our walk through the palace.  Something told me I should do it on the sly, though, just in case.  

We entered into a breathtaking foyer and walked down the red-carpeted hallway to a small exhibit about Winston Churchill.

 I love a Winston Churchill quote.



I didn't know before this that Churchill spent a good deal of time painting.
There was a display of his work there.


Walking down the wide stone hallways and up solid staircases...this place was full of strength and beauty.  The opening to the left in this picture was the entrance, and the following picture is looking up from the entrance hall.



How about that?  I stood in the room where Winston Churchill was born.





When we walked into the library there was a man talking to a group of people about a beautiful statue there.  I walked over to the window and surreptitiously snapped a picture of the Terrace Gardens below.  KJ was so impressed with the statue he told me to take a picture of it.  I was a little unsure, but I went ahead with his request, but as I raised my camera to my face, "I'm sorry; I'll have to ask you not to do that.  No pictures."  And that library was beautiful, too.  You should Google a picture of it since I was prevented from taking one.  So here is my last picture from inside Blenheim Palace.


The rest of our tour included an exhibit with automated figures and video telling the history of the Dukes of Marlborough.  It was really interesting.  One common theme for all of them was their want of money.  They were always going through it quickly for one reason or another. The Water Terrace garden was the place Winston Churchill proposed to his wife.


I suppose that's a good stopping point for now.  I have a few more pictures of the gardens and another side of the lawn.  James has been waiting patiently for another turn at the computer playing games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment