Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday's Flashback: One last look at Blenheim Palace

The water terrace gardens were a really beautiful place, the scene of Prince Leopold's palace in The Young Victoria.  



There were lots of fountains...and statues of naked people.  In the past when I've seen such statues, I just thought, "That's what they did for art back then," but after several days in the old country, it really got old.  I got really tired of looking at statues of naked people.  The least realistic one was one in this garden of a warrior, wielding his spear.  I really doubted he'd go into battle like that.  

  Setting up the shot

 There we are.

 This is a replica of a famous fountain in Rome, I think?

 the back of Blenheim

It would be nice to have this view as your back yard, don't you think?  And you don't need to cut your grass or fertilize it.  You have sheep.

 


This was a really lovely, private family garden on the opposite side of the house from the Water Terraces.  We made sure to get a picture of the "ducks" surrounding it for Ella.


At this point, we got kind of lost trying to figure out how to get out of there.  KJ's perfect sense of direction told him that walking down the above path was the way to the car park (and he was right), but according to the map there was no exit that way (which I had pointed out earlier).  We finally found someone cleaning up one of the public dining rooms who was able to point the way out.  We took one more picture of the empty courtyard.


KJ went to bring the car around and urged me to go get a few more shots near the pond since our photography book we read on the plane said it was the best time of day for pictures.  I was tired (we'd walked through a cathedral and two enormous houses and grounds that day), but I agreed.  At first I didn't think I got anything that great, but looking back today I'm glad I stayed behind for a few more pictures.


Beautiful.

We left Blenheim Palace and went to our guest house to check in and leave our luggage.  We went down the road to a little pub for dinner, The Fox and Hound, I think?  I'm hoping KJ has a couple of pictures on his iPhone.  I had chili, which was served over wild rice.  It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment