Friday, April 20, 2012

Friday's Flashback: Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Day 4!  A few nights ago KJ determined how long it would take me to blog through our entire trip based on the fact that I've gone through 3 days in the past 6 months.  It added up to about 2 1/2 years, at which time he said it would be time for another trip.  But until then, I will keep writing away, because I don't want to lose these memories.  They are too dear to be lost with age, and if the internet isn't just a fad, my great-great-grandchildren can read this blog.  SO.  We begin the fourth day of our trip, another beautiful, sunny and cold morning in Hampshire.


It's definitely worth a click so you can see it bigger in all its panorama glory.

Our last stop in Hampshire was in the city of Winchester and the Winchester Cathedral.  In preparation for our trip I spent some time looking up where different people were buried, and Jane Austen was buried in the Winchester Cathedral.  When her health worsened, she came with her sister, Cassandra, to Winchester to be near a doctor, and she was here when she died at the age of 41.  Though visiting Miss Austen's burying place was the means of my learning about Winchester, I found that it was a really interesting and old city with many other claims to fame.

To the glory of God and in proud and grateful memory of the uncounted
host from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight who died for England in the great war
when serving in the navy, the mercantile marine, the army, and the air force
Be mindful of them, O Lord, and grant to their children the same faithfulness.

(Whenever I read things like that, I have a National Treasure moment where
I think, "Nobody talks like that anymore...".)

I'll tell you what I remember from the guidebook, but you'll have to do your own research if you want a more exact history.  Winchester is yet another VERY old place, where King Alfred was crowned King of England.  I think there's some legends about King Arthur in this area, and William the Conqueror had himself crowned king a second time here in Winchester because of its importance and association with the legendary Alfred.  William the Conqueror is the one who commissioned this cathedral.  He wanted it big and impressive and intimidating, and he got what he asked for.  It was absolutely breathtaking.

This is where I figured out that small F-stops create
sun flare all over the place, and it was a super-bright sunny morning.
KJ got some better shots while I went in search of a restroom, excuse me, toilet.


The longest medieval cathedral still intact
It was built in 1079.

When we walked inside I recognized the face of Hercule Poirot.  The lady at the desk told me that yes, David Suchet was a great friend of the cathedral.  He narrates the recording you can listen to while walking through, which would have been fun, but we opted out that time.  This was the place where I first experienced the kindness of British senior citizens.  They were so kind.  A man approached us when we walked in, and in his soft British accent, gave us a great history lesson about the cathedral and since we were Americans, directed us to the place where some relatives of George Washington were buried.  I should have taken a picture of that.  He really knew his stuff. He then pointed us to the reason we were there.

Remember to read the "f's" as "s's!"

I don't want to rush through the pictures I took of the inside, so I'll stop there for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment