Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday's Flashback: Highclere Castle

So, you've all watched this television show, haven't you?  It's all the rage.


KJ planned for us to visit the real Downton Abbey, Highclere Castle (pronounced "Hi-clare").  The price of admission was covered through the Great British Heritage Pass he purchased for us, plus, KJ had already watched Season 1 at this point, which I hadn't.  When we returned home and watched it together, I said, "When in the world did you have time to watch these hour and a half episodes without me??"  I think we figured out it must have been during that season of time when James was fussy before dinner, and KJ would take him back in his room to play while I fixed dinner.  That room has a television in it.  

We were really "lucky" to see Highclere since it is occupied by the current Lord and Lady and their family, and it's not open to the public every day.  We happened to be passing through on  a special open weekend, so between that and the popularity of Downton Abbey in England, the place was packed out.  There was a long, long, line at the entrance gate and another line at the door.  We had plans to make it to Oxford and another house by late afternoon so we wondered if we would have to give up this stop.  KJ said, "Well, according to this pass we're not supposed to have to wait in lines so let's see what happens."

This was good news, but I was really nervous and tried to avoid eye contact as we walked to the front of the line to talk to an attendant.  There were probably some disgruntled people.  We were told we could avoid the hour-long line wait, but we would still have to wait in line outside the house.

Thank you, British Heritage Pass!


Even with skipping the admission line, we didn't think we had time to wait to see the inside of the house.  We elected to walk around to the gardens.


one of my favorite pictures from our trip

This way to the gardens!

I needed to find a toilet, and though the main bathrooms were full, there was a sign pointing us to some port-a-loos.  Are you kidding?  That may have been my favorite British-ism.  Port-a-loo is vastly superior to porta-potty.  Agreed?  Runner up for the day?

Engaged v. Occupied 
Also, this is the classiest portable toilet I've ever visited.
They were all set up with sinks and running water,
but after all, we were at Downton Abbey.

I didn't take a picture of it, but the back lawn was set up with tea tables underneath white tents where the crowds enjoyed a repast from the tea room.  It was oh-so-very British.  There were several ladies that engaged me in conversation while waiting in line.  I dreaded the part where I opened my mouth and revealed my status as "not from around here."

The grass here was amazing, too.  It was a glorious day.

because everyone needs a kissing picture


Highclere was very beautiful.  I later read it was designed by the same architect who designed the Parliament building.  The architecture is very similar.  I had KJ stand beside it so you could see how tall it was.


We then walked back to the far side of the house to bring you this view.  As always, you can click to enlarge it.


Across the back lawn in the other direction there was a path to the gardens.  I'll post those pictures on Monday, but we followed the path through the different gardens until we came to this view.  I wish we could have seen the field when the flowers were blooming.

Very happily situated indeed.

Since coming home, we watched seasons one and two of Downton Abbey, and it was so fun to recognize and know where different shots were filmed.  We felt like we had the inside scoop.  I do wish we'd been able to go inside, but we looked in a window and saw the people shoulder to shoulder, barely moving.  It looked uncomfortable and would have taken up more time than we had to give.  We were able to look inside the library windows; there are a lot of scenes shot there.  My favorite thing was seeing inside one of the back windows and noticing a lot of baby paraphernalia, including a pack and play.  I liked knowing that in real life, there were little children growing up there.


This phrase was over each of the windows on the library side, and I looked it up a few weeks ago.  It is the family motto and reads, "One will I serve."  

If you're interested in the history of this house I read this book by the current Lady Carnarvon, and it was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment