Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday's Memories: The Garden and the Bakehouse

I had several pictures ready for posting on Friday, but the threat of severe weather and tornadoes kept me running to and fro, readying the children and gathering all of our stuff so we would be ready to go to KJ's parents' house if a storm formed nearby.  Thankfully, we experienced nothing more here than a little wind and rain this time, but we always have to take the threat seriously.


Without further ado...in case you were unaware, the UK doesn't have yards, they have gardens.


You must have a hedge, of course, and benches where you can enjoy afternoon tea.

surveying the landscape

home remedies

a little greenhouse directly underneath Jane's room

KJ outside the bakehouse, located behind the house

what they did in the bakehouse


I thought the bakehouse was a lovely old building, but I'm so glad I don't have to skin a slaughtered pig in preparation for eating it.  We're so spoiled in the west these days.


Now this I found very cool.
They had the Austen's donkey carriage!


I stood still and imagined Jane perched on the donkey carriage for a trip to Alton with Cassandra.  As happened so many times on this trip, it was surreal to take in that we were standing so close to objects once so familiar to historical figures we've read so much about.


I was also excited when I saw a cornerstone from Steventon rectory, the home where Jane grew up and lived until her father's retirement.  It is no longer standing today, and it made me glad there was at least a little bit remaining.


the well

KJ got some close-ups of the flowers while I used the facilities.
I'm so glad he did because we were there for so long, and we needed to be on our way,
but I didn't make it around the garden for flower shots.

Everything was beautiful and blooming.

Don't you love that tree?

I suppose we'll say farewell to Chawton on Friday.  I hated to leave.  We had such a beautiful morning there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment