Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday's Memories: The Church at Steventon

Postcard, right?

I laughed at myself for how excited I sounded on my video Friday when we first pulled up to the church.  It really was strange/exciting to be in places like this.  


KJ surmised that these parishes are just so small now that they alternate meeting in different church buildings.  

KJ wanted to remember how big that keyhole was.
We could not figure out how to open the door and assumed it was locked.


Just think how many times Jane Austen stood in this exact spot!

a back view


We wandered around the graveyard (filled with that wonderful, lush green grass).  Behind the yard there was another green field where a pony grazed.


I had read that several members of the Austen family were buried here, but the stones were so old and hard to read.  I was afraid we wouldn't be able to find them.


But then, a man showed up, who was a member of the church, I suppose, and he showed us how to operate the door that wasn't locked after all.  He also directed us to Jane's brother James' grave.  We were so thankful for his providential appearance and that we were able to explore the quiet of the church.  Here's a sneak preview:

No comments:

Post a Comment