Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday's Memories: Jane's Room

Here we are in Jane's room.

The entrance is directly to the left of the bed.  She shared this room with her sister, Cassandra, and the bed is like one their father bought for them when they lived in Steventon.  They don't know if they had this bed when they lived here in Chawton.


This is a view of the other side of the room.  They had the closet fitted to hold their chamber pot and basin of water.  They probably didn't install the lights.  Kidding.

the kind of people that enjoy a good Jane Austen read

I was just thinking as I was editing these pictures how amazing the scope of one life can be.  Jane Austen never had a lot of money, was never widely known or recognized outside of her family circle and friends.  But 100 years after her death, the Prime Minister of England is reading and enjoying her work, and movie after movie is adapted from her novels, and people fall in love with her characters every day.  I find it encouraging that though your life's work might only be enjoyed by a few during your lifetime, you never know what may happen long after you are gone.


Don't you think she often sat in that window seat?

a lace collar worked on by Jane

I love this picture.  I love the beautiful wood floors.
I really loved everything about this house.  I'd like to make mine just like it.

Picture time by Jane's window
I'm afraid we took a lot of these.

Her room was at the back of the cottage and looked out over the yard and...

the bakehouse.

a prayer written by Jane Austen
This was something I'd never heard of or seen before that day.

Look at that beautiful ceiling.

And look who else wanted a picture by Jane's window.

I love the man who quotes Mr. Darcy...

"That is the material point."

and Mr. Woodhouse...

"Marriage is so disrupting to one's social circle."

and Miss Bates...

"What a happy porker it must have come from!"

and Marianne quoting Shakespeare...

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

and took me to England to Jane Austen's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment