Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday's Flashback: The Castle Keep

Only one more post of castle pictures...I promise.  


We got to walk up into the Castle Keep, the oldest part of the castle.  First we stood in the room where the first queen of England was kept imprisoned by her uncle.  I don't really know if poor Matilda gets to count as the first queen of England since she never really got to be queen.  KJ and I read all about it that week in Charles Dickens' history of England.  So sad.  Those horrible men thought it would be degrading to have a woman rule over them, and right now I'm trying to remember if they actually killed her or if she just happened to die.  KJ can tell you.  He has a better memory than me.  Either way, those were dark days.


This was one of those times where I nonchalantly held the camera in my hands
and accidentally pressed the shutter down.  Technically, we weren't supposed to take
pictures inside the castle.  But I was in the bedroom of the first queen of England...  Oops.

There's the village of Arundel and the river leading back to the sea.

There's the cathedral from the top of the Castle Keep.

Is that a moat?  Yes.  Yes, it is.


The tower steps were tall and steep.

How creepy is the man in the dungeon?


I was nervous about falling down these steps.

How fantastic is that?
I think that's where the family still lives.

I loved all the light through the castle windows.

All in all, I did a good job of refraining from photographing the inside of the castle.  We walked through rooms and room of elegance and bedrooms where queens have slept through the years.  There were checkpoints we had to walk through and show our passes, great halls for eating and receiving guests.  It was all incredibly beautiful and wonderful.  

When we left it was raining so I didn't get any really good shots of the gardens.  We also had to leave rather quickly because the grounds were closing at 5 p.m.  We began the long walk back to our car in the misty rain perfectly happy and content.  We loved Arundel Castle.

3 comments:

  1. I love these pictures of the castles! Back in 98, I was a summer missionary in Wales and we visited lots of castles during that summer. I just love the UK and would love to go back some day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Laura! I was thinking of other places I might visit one day but thought, "Nope. I'd rather go back to England."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking, Lynn. Literally, I gasped.

    ReplyDelete