Saturday, October 22, 2011

Beyond the Sea

At our first stop this morning, The World of James Harriot, we had a delightful surprise.  

We alighted from our  car and were studying the parking instructions on the street sign when a man approached us.

"I think I'm supposed to be meeting you.  Are you the Americans we're expecting?"

"Um, we're Americans, but I don't think anyone knew we were coming."

"Yes, you're here for the interview?  I'm Jim Wight."

We weren't there for any interview, but we told him we'd love to chat because I recognized his name immediately.  This was James Herriot's son!  He was on holiday with his family in the Lake District but had come into town for an interview regarding the release of his father's books in digital format.  The people he was supposed to meet with weren't there yet, so we had a lovely little talk about his father and his father's books and got a picture in front of the real Skeldale House.


KJ had bought me Jim Wight's biography of his father a couple of years ago for Christmas, so I was happy to be able to tell him I'd read his book.  I later told KJ I thought that was a really nice thing to be able to add to the conversation when you met someone.  :)  Our meeting him was a completely unexpected turn of events that gave us a nice start to our day.

After our tour of the home and veterinary surgery we drove to Scarborough for a brief stop.  As we were driving away I made KJ pull over so I could get pictures of the English cliffs over the water.  The sea feels so different here, and I think the cliffs over the ocean are quintessential England in my imagination.  


We then made a visit to Wilberforce House before ending our journey for today.  


Only two days left on our journey.  It feels like we've been here for so long, and it has been lovely.  I told KJ today I was so ready to be back in my own little domain with my children, but I did so hate to leave this place.  I like being here where we drive on the left side of the road, eat biscuits instead of cookies and chips instead of fries.  I like how every church is at least 500 years old and how every place is rich with history, good and bad.  I like being told, "Cheers!" as I leave a restaurant and feeling the misty rain on my face.  KJ said the only solution would be to bring our children here with us.  I believe that would work.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment