Monday, October 17, 2011

Bath

I've just finished another English breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast.  I don't think I can take too many more mornings of eating such a full breakfast.  My American economy doesn't like to NOT eat it since it was included in the price of the room, but my waistline might not thank me when I return home.  It was quite delicious, though.  I do love everything English.

I spent my breakfast time preparing a few more pictures to post since I didn't share any from Bath yesterday.  I knew my mother would be excited to see a few sights such as...

A sedan chair 
This is how ladies would be carried about the city.

The Pump Room
(The water from the springs was pretty disgusting.)

I'm sure it did feel like a medicinal treatment to those seeking cure for their ailments.
I couldn't stomach down a full glass.

Here is the inside of the Pump Room,
where they would have promenaded about,
seeing and being seen.

Pulteney Bridge over the River Avon

We are heading out this morning for Wales, looking forward to the book shops.  Yesterday there was actually a book fair being held in the Assembly Rooms, but these books were WAY out of our price range.  Every rare book dealer in England (at least it seemed like it) was there with a booth.  I saw second editions of Jane Austen's works in 3 volumes and illustrated, priced from 5,000-8500 pounds.  We saw a copy of Foxe's Book of Martyrs from 1578.  My goodness.  There was also what appeared to be a first edition of Winnie the Pooh.  It was amazing.  We're looking forward to prices more in our range today.  But I was really thankful for a chance to see all these treasures.  England is definitely a country where you could find such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment