Friday, October 29, 2010

Fall in the Mountains

KJ and I went on a camping trip with two of my brothers and their wives this past week and had a really wonderful time.  It was so nice to get away and be able to talk without interruption and enjoy each other freely.  We dropped the kids off with my parents Sunday afternoon and arrived  at our campsite Sunday night where we were greeted by Jesse and Sandy and a blazing fire.


Maybe not quite blazing yet

KJ and Jesse pitched our tent; it took me a little while to go to sleep because there was a storm blowing in, and leaves kept falling on the tent just as I would begin to doze off.  Sleep finally came as did a big thunderstorm about 5:20 a.m.  The wind was pretty strong, and there was one moment where the side of the tent blew in, but it held firm, and we stayed dry.  Jesse and Sandy got a little damp, but by the time we got up at 8:30 the worst was over for the day.  It was a gorgeous day to be in the mountains, surrounded by walls of color and deep blue skies.


We hiked through a trail near Cades Cove, picnicked, and packed up just as a few raindrops began to fall.  We drove through the Cove during a rain shower, but it ended by the time we made it back to our campsite, for which we were thankful.



We had a really great fire Monday night and grilled hamburgers and ate "nice hot s'moes" (name that movie).  Then we stayed up late playing Catch Phrase.  The night was uneventful as far as rain goes, but we definitely had a nocturnal visitor.  Sandy spotted a skunk on Sunday night, and I believe it was him we heard scurrying around our tent and sniffing.  The next morning we had several little holes around our tent as proof of his presence.  I was too nervous about getting sprayed to holler at him to leave.


There was an expectation of a lot of rain and tornado warnings for Tuesday night, so the campground allowed us to move to a camping cabin for no extra charge.  We were very glad and thankful about this, and we spent the morning taking down tents and moving all our gear.  Afterwards we took the scenic route into Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.  It was a beautiful drive.

Our new cabin


The rain started that evening, but we played games and talked on our front porch and enjoyed the sound of rainfall.  That night we all slept in bunk beds, leaving the front room and double bed open for Josh and Nicole who were coming in late.  It rained all night, but we expected it to clear up for our hike that day.  We were wrong.

3 Murphy kids and their spouses

There was a light rain when we made it to the trail head, and I had forgotten my poncho!  Josh had an extra jacket with a hood, which I would grow to really appreciate in the coming hours.  Not very long into the hike it began to rain at a steadier pace, which soon became a torrential downpour.  The trail runs straight up the mountain, and all the rain created a stream straight down the trail near the upper portion.  Needless to say we were completely drenched, but the fog lifted, and the rain dried as we reached the top.  It was worth the climb, and I know I felt a huge feeling of accomplishment.





It only sprinkled here and there on the way down, and I was really glad to be able to take pictures.  I had been severely disappointed on the way up because there were so many beautiful spots I was missing out on being able to photograph in the rain.  KJ told me I would have my memories; it was all anyone had for thousands of years.  True, but I was still disappointed.



Almost Done

By the time we reached the bottom of the mountain again we were soaked through and through with very sore feet.  A hot shower never felt so good.  In fact, I might close with a "bath song" composed by Bilbo Baggins and sung by Frodo and Pippin as they bathed after their trek through the fields and woods to Buckland, running from Black Riders.  (Yes, we were listening to The Fellowship of the Ring on c.d. as we drove.)  When I heard that song I laughed because it described the way I felt exactly, minus the beer.  

We had a really great trip, and I was sad to leave Townsend as always.

Our farewell look
(I really got some great pictures.  You can look at the whole album on my Facebook page.)

Bilbo's Bath Song
Sing hey! for the bath at close of day
that washes the weary mud away!
A loon is he that will not sing:
O! Water Hot is a noble thing!

O! Sweet is the sound of falling rain,
and the brook that leaps from hill to plain; 
but better than rain or rippling streams
is Water Hot that smokes and steams.

O! Water cold we may pour at need
down a thirsty throat and be glad indeed; 
but better is Beer, if drink we lack,
and Water Hot poured down the back.

O! Water is fair that leaps on high
in a fountain white beneath the sky;
but never did fountain sound so sweet 
as splashing Hot Water with my feet!

3 comments:

  1. yay, Lynn! what wonderful memories...and pictures to go along with them! i won't be able to see the album on FB, but i trust they are lovely! ;)
    love you, miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are wonderful! I just put some of ours from last year up on our blog a couple of weeks ago. When K.J. told us y'all were going up there, I was so jealous! We were supposed to have left the same morning y'all did. That would have been neat to have accidentally been there at the same time! Glad y'all had a good time w/ your family.

    ReplyDelete